fact: I don’t like baked apples.
fact: I do like this cake.
There’s a bit of a story to this cake. My boss is teaching an Italian class during lunch on Mondays and a few weeks ago one of my fellow students brought apples for the teacher. One apple, apparently, was not enough. He brought her a whole case. Fast forward to the end of the week, the case was still sitting in her office. Rather than have them continue to sit with no one eating them, I told her I’d take them home and make an apple cake to bring in the next week.
I have never had apple cake, nor have I ever baked an apple cake before. The only reason I even knew apple cake was a thing was because of the copious amount of time I have spent glued to the screen watching and rewatching The Great British Bake Off on Netflix.
Typically when I want to try out a new recipe, I scour Pinterest and the internet for guidance. This time I took a different route. A few years ago, the summer after my grandmother died, I rescued a bunch of cook books from her house and brought them home with me. The recipe I’m sharing is one I tweaked from one of her cook books.
When I brought this in to work, it was a major hit–even more than the carrot cake was. People had two or three slices. This time I made it with a brown sugar glaze. Personally, I wasn’t a fan of the glaze, but my coworkers loved it. Next time, I might make it a layer cake with a cream cheese frosting.
Oh, and after making this cake I still had six apples left to use…
I’ve gabbed enough at this point. Recipe is below.
For the Apple Cake
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil *I used canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 ½ cups peeled, finely chopped apples *I used 3 gala apples
- ½ cup roasted chopped pecans
For the Brown Sugar Glaze
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- preheat oven to 350°; grease and flour pan (bundt pan or 10 inch tube pan)
- combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in large mixing bowl and beat well
- combine flour, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon mix together
- add flour mixture to sugar micture and beat well
- stir in apples and pecans (batter will be stiff)
- spoon/pour batter into prepared cake pan
- bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- cool cake in pan for 10-15 minutes
- remove from pan and let cool completely
- drizzle brown sugar glaze (recipe below) over cake
Brown Sugar Glaze
- combine all ingredieants in heavy saucepan
- bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes
- allow to cool before drizzling over cake